What few words I remember from my childhood will not do me any good at all.
I don't need to point out their step stool, or a baby bottle, or the moon! My grandparents on my dad's side were Nonno (grandfather) and Nonnie (grandmother) and they may still use those words but won't do me any good. LOL
What will I do you ask?
Well, my dad knows antique Italian. In other words, when the immigrants came over, their language never grew with the language back home. If you look at the English language, it grows through the years.
Take the word bloomers. For my grandmother, bloomers meant women's underpants, which has also changed to panties. You never hear the word bloomers anymore. There are many words my grandparents or even generations used to say that you never hear anymore.
or even since my teen years, cream rinse. No one calls it cream rinse anymore it is conditioner.
Thus is my father's antique Italian.
So what will I do?
I got a new fancy phone, a Samsung Galaxy S4. EVEN though there are some friends of mine who don't think it is a real phone (hey Maureen! LOL) it is great and I love it.
I downloaded a couple of interesting apps to use over there when I have wifi.
The first one is a translating program.
I speak into my phone and it will play back in Italian to them and vice versa. It is so much fun and I have been playing with it.
Next is Google Goggles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Goggles (check it out, this explains it a bit better)
Now this is a neat app. You hold the phone up while in the app and take a picture of something. It could be a menu selection from a restaurant, or a picture of some scenery like the Rialto Bridge in Venice.
If it is a written language it translates it.
If it is a scenery, and it recognizes it, it will display what it is and some bits about it.
I LOVE MY PHONE!!!

Cool! Do any of those apps need a wifi/data connection to work?
ReplyDeleteyes Steph, they all do. I know I will have wifi at the hotels and at Lorenzo and Cristina's house. Hopefully the bigger towns will have it too. Giulia told me there is a lot of wifi areas. We will find out!
ReplyDeleteActually Tim still says "cream rinse". Just the other day I asked him if he needed anything at the store and he asked me to pick him up some "cream rinse". Ha ha
ReplyDeleteI am so excited for you Linda! Have a great trip and post as much as you can so I can live vicariously through you!
ReplyDeleteI will cathy! Thanks! Love you!
ReplyDelete